Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Swiss School

Sustainability Management School (Sumas)
- Business school based totally on sustainability, it is also, the first of its kind in Europe.
- Located in Gland, Switzerland.
- In the modern green building of the IUCN (International Union for the Conservation of Nature).
- Those how have studied there leave with a fundamental understanding of sustainability and how it can be brought to life.
- Only business school in Europe that offers both bachelor's and master's of business administration in sustainability management.
- Located in a prime place: nightlife activities, lake for any kind of water sport, safety of the country, and located in the middle of Europe.

Sustainable Consumption and Production: A Greener World
- Global warming, deforestation, widespread pollution, are all causes as to why the planet is deteriorating.
- By 2050, if we make no changes in our way of producing and consuming, then we will need twice the Earth's surface to absorb our waste and the CO2 produced.
- The key player in all of this i industry.
- We have to make sure of using the products that don't harm the environment too much, to be able to make a change happen.
- Labels have to make sure people know what it is they are buying, including the Ecolabel, a label that can assure a person that they are using green products and helping the environment.

An Inconvenient Truth  
- The 10 hottest years, have all occurred within the last 14 years.
- Sustainability is where we should be looking at.
- We are the ones causing global warming, therefore we are the ones who need to clean up all the mess it has made.
- Not a political issue, but a moral issue.
- Temperature increases are what cause the stronger storms that we see.
- The only way to solve this crisis is by acting together.
- Our ability to live is what is at stake.

Flight Moffett to Phoenix
- A plane that does not fuel to function, solar impulsed.
- Theoretically can fly forever.
- Proposes solutions for everyone.
- The use of this sustainable solutions can save us in the future and help us save our nature and world today.
- There ARE ways to improve our world today, we can't give up on our search for sustainable solutions.

Arizona State University
- I was unable to watch the video. It wouldn't load in the school computer, and when I tried to watch it at home, I wasn't able to access the website.

Activity
How can I apply sustainable consumption in my city? First of all, I would like to point out, that at the moment, I am not living in my city, since I wasn't born here. After pointing that out, something that I have noticed, that is a major concern in the city, is pollution through cars. The city has tried methods of helping this situations. At the moment, there is something called "pico y placa", this gives private vehicles a schedule of sorts, of when they can go out on the street, or when they have to look for other modes of transportation. I believe that this is a good idea for trying to control pollution within the city, yet it is quite bothersome as you have to look for other types of transportation every other day. Another idea that I think is quite good is, acquiring hybrid cars for public transportation. Since there are so many people in the city, and more than half uses public transportation. Using hybrid buses and taxis could decrease pollution levels for a considerable amount. It might be quite expensive, but in the end it would be definitely worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment